I tried to get back to it, but ran into several issues. I wrote the tutorial for Burp Suite and yet I setup my proxy in my browser to 127.0.0.0 by accident. It took me about an hour to figure out, and with my troubleshooting experience, it could have been a no-brainer. Whenever you are having an issue with a tool such as Burp Suite, that has such a simple configuration, you should always start by looking at the easiest thing first. In this case, I tried looking at my network settings, then looked at my host machines network settings, and then looked at my browser settings.
The next issue was trying to set up my new passwords in all of my accounts. I tried out a bunch of password managers and ended up sticking with keepass. It’s easy to use, its open-source and it stores passwords locally on a file with a password to access it. I tried to install it in Kali Linux but couldn’t get it to work. I eventually got it onto my host machine and copied the passwords from keepass on my host machine and then pasted them into my browser on the guest machine.
After roughly two hours of failure and fixing, my brain was spent and I had to stop. Got no actual practice in. There will be days like this for everyone, and you just gotta move on.